Roof Repair: Safety Around Electricity (Part 1)

Of all the work space hazards in DIY construction and repair, electricity is one of the deadliest and most misunderstood. Ready 2 Roof wants to fill in the gaps for you because, when it comes to electricity, there isn’t a lot of room for error.

Remember “BE SAFE” to avoid the most common electrical hazards when working on your home:

  • Burns: The most common electricity-related injuries are burns. Be vigilant and avoid burns caused by open currents, arcs (electrical currents that jump from several feet away) or overheated equipment that is plugged into a malfunctioning outlet or damaged extension cord.
  • Electrocution: Death by exposure to electricity is called electrocution. And it happens fast. A person can become another link in the chain if they come in contact with an open electrical circuit. In an open current, electricity “looks for” or is attracted to conductors.
  • Shock: Static electricity caused by walking across carpet or rubbing a balloon packs between 20,000 to 25,000 volts of electricity. Shocking, huh? Due to its low charge, however, static electricity won’t kill you (although it may result in a memorable handshake). On the other hand, a household outlet has far less voltage but unlimited charge, which means a lot of electricity can flow through your body uninterrupted. And that can kill you.
  • Arc Flash/Blast: As the electricity from an open current flows from one object to another, it seeks a way to complete the circuit and becomes neutralized only when it finds a ground. When enough charge builds up, electricity can actually jump or arc to another object. The flash or arc generated by the current is super-heated. If you become the missing link, arc blasts can result in serious burns or death. (Note: lightning is an example of an arc blast in nature and can post similar dangers if you work on your roof when there are thunderstorms in the area.)
  • Fire: Electrical fires are often the result of improper use of extension cords, overloading an outlet, or utilizing equipment with damaged wiring. Inspect power cords on equipment and make sure extension cords have not become worn, frayed or damaged from overuse.
  • Explosions: Electricity can ignite flammable materials, causing an explosion on a job site with little or no warning. Keep gasoline for gas-powered equipment away from electrical sources. Clean up any spills. And never store flammable materials improperly as the gas vapors from some chemicals can cause an explosion.

Now that you are aware of these hazards, you can prevent injuries or death from electrical-related accidents. If you will be working near power lines, call your power company before you start working.

The experts at Ready 2 Roof are professionals with training in safety precautions. If a job is too big or too dangerous, call us at at 601-573-1160. We have the knowledge and the equipment to safely repair or replace your roof. Contact us for a free inspection and no obligation estimate today!

2015-05-29T15:40:52+00:00